Re: Monasticism and Mysticism.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_Gmz2iczYe1R7mXR7c8xZc_cOTrrXN_n0j9Z94awSSIKL_jItVbJMH0PoA18w9w2AmAM>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:32:29 +1300

julianlord wrote:

> [...] I think that we could be looking at three potential
> paths towards mysticism,

I don't believe there are three (plus) separate paths to mysticism. For me, the key feature is practicing austerities. Since mysticism is inherently anti-heroic (and even anti-adventurer), I don't see how making distinctions between mystics (apart from the obvious look-and-feel) can tell us what we don't already know. In story terms, mystics are a plot device and can be invincible (as Mashunasan was) or easily killable (as Thomas Becket and the Buddha were) as need be for the purposes of the story.

--Peter Metcalfe