Re: Monasticism and Mysticism.

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_4M-qt6N1y8K6MCBc4KzQt5jX2My7haQz_qxyBO3fA_AemXyMuArFDilXShYEQO>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:55:31 -0800

If the purpose (and proven result for some) of the study would be to achieve insight and further one's transcendence of the material world, then he would be a mystic.

Asceticism by itself does not make a mystic. Meditation and focus do not make a mystic. Attempting to see the "reality" behind this false world and transcend, usually through a dedicated path that has been demonstrated by a Master, is what makes mysticism different.

In most paths (real world and Glorantha), attachment to mundane concerns, relationships with people and communities and concerns of the body all inhibit the ability to "see" beyond the false world and move along the path of transcendence. Sufficiently detached masters can probably ignore the world as they pass through it, only "existing in the now", doing but not caring about what they do. Novices are greatly aided by seclusion, hence monasteries.