Re: Three-world model

From: L C <lightcastle_at_GuIe8ikzzCisXyNUHdMmSbyzUmGtXlUPuwIzw-pdTKRp4AugyKEMo4ksudXRFm2B>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:36:39 -0500

Greg Stafford wrote:

> > Interestingly, if one thinks of Lunar as a 4th world/approach - what is
> > the broad brush unifying theme?
> > Illusion?
> > Or is Moon so weird it has no theme?
>
> Freedom. That is, Freedom through Discipline. (As opposed to the Orlanthi
> Unbridled Freedom)

Freedom as "You can do anything" as opposed to "No one can make you do anything."

> Change. That is, Change through Regularity (As opposed to the Orlanthi
> Unbridled Change)

Interesting, this one.

> Balance. That is, Balance through Change. (As opposed to the Orlanthi
> simple
> Change (ie, "Movement"))
>
> Linkage. That is, connection to the rest of the cosmos rather that
> separation into its parts.

It has a wonderful sense of Orwellian paradox, doesn't it?

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

^__^

Nonetheless, it seems more a philosophy than a match for the practical aspects of the Theist/Sorcery/Animist approaches discussed earlier.

Still... still... it gives us our lunar shifting, which is of course necessary. It gives us our "it can be any magic at all, you know" aspect. Perhaps in the end, all you can say about Lunar magic is that it is Lunar.

LC