Re: Devotion to the Myth Cycle

From: L C <lightcastle_at_gGlnRdrbUxg4dM6FIDRHodLYaeIahkUULQW-HqPccGvudQ5tNI-JPshpN2hSyO7q>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:13:21 -0500

Gavain Sweetman wrote:

> Devotion to a myth-cycle instead of a God.
>
> I suspect this actually makes no sense, and I will want to throw it out
> in by sun-up.
> >>

> I like it :-))

Glad someone does. :)

I still think there's something there, but I'm not sure how I would want to implement it. When I get the Sartar book, I'm going to have to dig a little into how these things are defined there. Thinking more about it, in some way this is just HeroQuesting, isn't it? Emulating a specific myth? I do think that manifesting feats as full emulation of a god is a Theist thing. It's a trick you just can't really do in the other systems. (I'm not completely sold on this idea, mind you. I can see an argument for HeroForming a Saint - even though it would be Essential magic, not Divine. Animism strikes me as not having this option - I recall hearing something about "integrating spirits" in the past, but it seems to me Animism gets to do the "release the spirit from the fetish/charm thing" instead. You don't emulate the spirit, you bring it directly into the world for a while instead.)

I think this might go on the back burner for a while until I think of somewhere it is specifically useful.

> How about the Pavis group? Pavis, Flintnail and the rest?

I know very little about Pavis, as it was "before my time", if you will. Certainly, if theists are the only ones who get feats like that, then it becomes an issue if the people in question are not Gods. (although maybe it is a form of misapplied worship, to bring back an ugly can of worms?).