Re: Three Runes

From: L C <lightcastle_at_hNzvn5EtGakXy0UIc8nKc5wPTjv6dbsrHwrkRr_TaUfh_Q5RjLIWZxfzzVcDog1s>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:47:54 -0500

  Trotsky wrote:

> The rule in KoH is that you have to have one element, one power, and one
> other rune which may be either a power or a condition.

Mmm... So the options would be:

I think I might be comfortable with that being the pattern across Orlanthi culture. Given the hints that the Dara Happans work that way, maybe them too.

I don't know about it being everywhere. (Mind you, I'm still not sure about everyone having a link to the runes everywhere anyway. -- I could be good with a "everyone has the runes, but they aren't necessarily abilities" thing.)
Would there be a good, Gloranthan-wide mythological explanation for "one element/one power/one other"?

> > Hmm... That's another thought. All people have an elemental rune, but in
> > some cultures that tends to group with class or gender, and in others it
> > just doesn't.
>
> Sounds about right to me.

As you can see, I'm debating everyone needing an elemental rune.

> > > I'd let them use to augment any Law rune associated magic.
> > >
> > But not everyday tasks?
> >
> The Law rune is not ideal for everyday tasks (unless, perhaps you're in
> the wizard caste, and the tasks involve, say, logical analysis).

Fair point.

> Malkioni would, I am sure, be able to use runes to help with everyday
> tasks, but that's not the best one for doing so.

*nod*
It does seem that on some level, there's an argument for everyone having runes, even if we don't use the term "common magic". As a layperson in a religion, anyone can get charms and anyone can learn a spell, so why shouldn't anyone be able to get some divine magic? (Of course, divine magic does not have to be "linking with a rune".)

LC