Re: Three Runes

From: Douglas Seay <douglas-seay_at_VmOrrcvMgiV4W730Iqznsz001S_7KRS9zHSXnXm3GrwBwzDMBGGr3yLXhvyBV7o>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 00:54:19 -0500

John Machin wrote:
>>   And isn't the solution in many cases to create a Thunder Brother who
>> lets you use your Fire Rune do do stuff normally associated with Air? I
>> mean, Barntar lets you use Air to do some Earth things, so generalize
>> from that example.
>>

> Personally I just imagine that Barntar probably has Air and Fertility and
> has a lot more magic to do with Fertility than Air. ;)
> The whole "I use Air to do Earthy stuff" kind of irritates me. What is the
> point in this kind of categorisation if you immediately break it down by
> allowing this sort of thing? Grumble grumble!

Actually, I think I might be with you on this. I like the idea of subcults being gateways, but I don't think this is quite right. I was thinking about allowing two elements but that pretty much forcing you into a subcult. If you have Air and Water, you must initiate to Heler, Poveri, or the like, and Air must always be >= Water because that is how Heortlings see things. Likewise Earth and Air means Barntar if Air >= Earth, or some Earth god(dess) if Earth >= Air.

Although I have S:KoH, I haven't finished my first pass yet. I certainly haven't studied it in any detail. There might be better nuggets of wisdom in there that I haven't gotten to quite yet.

>>   I have no idea where you'd go with an essay on Bat Shit Alchemy, but am
>> intrigued by the title.
>>

> [Patent Pending]
> Eyzaali alchemists who follow around the Bat trying to see if it excretes
> powerful entropic nodes, ala Nibbler from Futurama. They may or may not have
> magical hazmat suits made from lead and red-pained cult crowbars depending
> on how silly I am.
>
> Thus, they are interested in Bat Shit and are also bat-shit.
> [/Patent Pending]
>
> (it's marginally more serious than this in it's true glory...)

I've never been a big fan of Futurama, but I like this.