Re: Three Runes

From: L C <lightcastle_at_glX4Ckr3HCp6vmYZqnBwfwfMYZSo8lilk7rpTvoBObbWfgT_ieBxoU4iTky6v95V>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:32:11 -0500

  Stephen Tempest wrote:

> The language used in the book is consistent, that initiation *awakens*
> the runes within you.

*nod* Good to know.

> Since the Runes are the building blocks of reality, it follows that in
> the mundane world everybody is comprised of all the runes, in one
> proportion or another. A theist initiation allows you to discover the
> three most important runes that go into making up who you are, and
> awaken an affinity for them that allows you to perform Theist magic by
> using them.

And presumably the path to greater understanding/use of these is through the gods. This seems to lean to the "tradeoff" being direct access to the runes in return for constraints on behaviour and personality due to "becoming the rune" yourself in some way.

> I think it's clear enough that the number "three" is a generalisation
> made formal for gameplay reasons.

It does seem likely. And a "Three is normal, but you sometimes see exceptional people" would cover that.
At a certain point, it just seems a question of what would become unwieldy. (Don't Heortlings have six souls? Or seven winds? Or is it Dara Happan Solars have six and Lunars have seven? I mean, you could argue for runes for all of that, I suppose, but it would be cumbersome.)

> You can add new runes during play by
> discovering that you "had them all along", or by performing a
> heroquest or ritual to strengthen your connection to a particular
> rune.

Basically a new initiation.
I would suppose that different cultures view whether you are connecting to the rune or to a god differently. (I presume the Sartar book makes it clear that they view it as "connecting to the rune".) LC