Re: Three Runes

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_66awDMArzXUi7Nzr0wIIfUnDoAosIovqGdfkaPNn-Cpld4WIJMXFULaaxbOj5Y>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:49:29 -0800

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The Common Magic is obtained without being an Orlanthi lay member.

To me Rune Magic is NOT common magic. Neither is initiation to Orlanthi lay member necessary to learn the Heat Forge spell or to gain the Sharpen Knife charm that was passed down to you from your Grandfather when he died. And you could have the innate magical trait of Glowing Eyes. These are all common magic, the lowest tier of magic, and it does not require Otherworld experience to acquire.

The first level of Otherworld magic for Theists (at least, for Sartarite Orlanthi) is initiation to lay member, which awakens your three "best" runes as Affinities, which get specific numbers. Also according to the rules for character creation. While the phrase is not used in S:KoH, I feel that this is the first step beyond Common Magic.

--Todd