Re: Runes for non-theists [was: 'Three Runes']

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_07Jw_A0BMMnTPQx-j0Y-Sfw3pmBmkrhVfG2LBbtkaJQiS6wGOI9TdsF8qXqtmpgBUM>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:16:29 +1100

2009/12/22 Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ZLmx7B9M2gImAbzYcW3ZQOLV8s98BAacIRIXyo-uM0m9rL-QmiICC1Avp57Pzkw321VUhaRXGPT9IyAsvtyvXAPP81Q.yahoo.invalid>

> What would it take to make a suggestion not sound like crypto-theism?

Theism, in the text, is about something that you are - I would probably characterise it as something that you are that resembles something that an immortal is. It's about that emulation of immortals so it's more like something that you *do.*
**
I am attempting to imagine how a given person's Rune might influence their magic if they are not participating in theistic magical practices. Allowing Spiritists to obey a set of personal taboos in order to obtain some sense of self-identification with a greater power seems very similar to the theistic approach.

[It may be that the Runes are only of use in the theistic approach (this could be The Point, as it were) but I don't particularly like this idea. If the Runes as magical concepts are important to Glorantha, then the personal Runes of a given person should probably be important in some magical way.]

> > Essentialists (I am sick of writing "wizard")
>
> I've started using Sophists myself (based on wisdom and intended to form
> a parallel with rationalism etc) although the related words for the
> magic (sophistry? sophisticated magic?) don't work so well.

I think it is quite good for that educated scholarly 'wizardly' sort of person; however I am at a bit of a loss as to how to describe the class of lay people. We can say "theist" or "animist"/"spiritist" but saying "wizard" and using it to refer to a soldier who knows marching songs, or a martial member of a military order, or a peasant who attends regular rites and gains Fertile Fields Blessings seems weird to me.

--
John Machin