Re: Runes for non-theists [was: 'Three Runes']

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_nXglcA4Dg2iCK88oD0IkWYtlQVzsFsq0qSPA7cEfzYQt58UsQSEHBqoYMxD-M015jM>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:43:02 +1100

2009/12/23 Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_eEhf_UGN-lOSEA4Mr6OFyC_gNE4k6FCswDDwUyq10DY4gDBi91sg6eJH9d_CtNKfUhSh-2YK68yCDaU1YcoyRW7B.yahoo.invalid>

> The actual statement is "an affinity is something you are". Given that
> the Westerners worship Saints, the Praxians worship Waha and Eiritha and
> practically every other animist follows a Really Big Spirit of some
> sort, to characterise the emulation of immortals as the sin qua non of
> theism is at odds with what we know about glorantha.

Western magic does not come from personally and literally *embodying* a saint. Unless I missed something.
Praxian magic, about which I know very little, isn't about *being *Waha, it's about *making friends with *Waha, or Waha's spirit followers. Unless I missed something.

> So how do you think a Praxian should follow Waha given that they have
> had Khans/Rune Lords of Waha and the like for over twenty years?

I am not in any way claiming that there should not be Rune Lords of Waha.... whatever that piece of terminology means given that Rune Lord went out with Power in terms of game mechanics (and presumably may have come back in again in the recent Mongoose version of which I own nothing and of which I know next to nothing).

What I am thinking about is what it means, in light of the different approaches to magic (theism, animism, "essentialism") what does it mean to personally posses strong connections with a particular Rune.

--
John Machin