Re: Three Runes

From: L C <lightcastle_at_zHMIhvFm_2doU97hATb16wo1k39iVokZghcpWZUzyjkDAj9anhOGxsUSck5ScLVh>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:09:21 -0500

Todd Gardiner wrote:

> Finally finished reading Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, so I thought I would
> revisit the idea of someone switching runes and "playing for the other
> team".

Yeah, I've just been plowing through it, and it answers some questions.

> But if your Chalana Arroy initiate is going to flip (perhaps by
> seeking out
> revenge, then continuing past all that is reasonable), this is certainly
> possible by the "Changing Runes" sidebar in the book.

Indeed. I'm kind of amazed how much of this discussion would have been stopped by saying "p.73 says you can add and change runes".

> Here you just replace
> the old rune with a new rune at the same value; usually used to move from
> someone normally worshiped as "part" of the god to worshiping the main
> god.
> For example, moving from Heler to Orlanth (or the reverse). But relife
> sickess is certainly covered here too.

Agreed.

> What happens when you leave Chalana Arroy and start killing things: you
> cannot heal. Neither others, nor yourself; not even "naturally". Now
> THAT's
> are commitment to Death. I like it.

That's a specific thing for abandoning Chalana Arroy, though. If you just have the Harmony and Life runes and flip over to death but were never initiated to her, that doesn't have to happen.

> Or course this story is told a little more easily with an Ernalda healer
> switching to a Babeester Gor initiation, but hey, everyone knows that
> story... (and communities support that choice much better than flipping
> power runes).

Probably. :)

> Some flips are not terribly interesting. They are either extremely
> implausible for a villain and unlikely for a player (Sage of truth
> turns to
> lies of illusion; Builder of stasis becomes changer and mover; the
> diplomat
> turned trickster). But others resonate, especially on the Life/Death axis
> that originated my interest in this tangent discussion.

See, sage of truth goes to Illusion I can see. Some crack up on the line of the 'Truth behind the Truth is that the All is a Lie." (Sort of like Cake.)

> Does anyone have an interesting NPC idea that could illustrate this
> extreme
> catharsis? I would be interested in reading about it.
>
> Death to Life
> Life to Death
> Stasis to Movement/Change
> Change to Stasis
> Harmony to Disorder
> Disorder to Harmony
> Truth to Illusion
> Illusion to Truth
>
> --

\
I haven't specifically done any of those. I've an NPC with an element shift, but that's pretty easy to visualize. LC