Re: Punishment for consorting with chaos

From: donald_at_MMtBCG4TeNquGNy4X6y6RI5pNeyZvHWLcCchoFF8WVhycZx9n7e8rzvs2uDG-0GQ_WjES
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 23:49:33 GMT

In message <3D40CE7D-6BCD-430E-AAEB-51299C6893C4_at_VQDQaD-kAKVF7EgN8PN-6KWQ49onPTuhoRtGVhtOKnYBmA99cU01zQq3xhrPf8sDbbO07_Yw1suusAUBSRtfGJCm6MLp_4dvnQspuV4CuUyL5ByN7VRR8lqF6W8.yahoo.invalid> Paul King writes:

>Execution is pretty rare in Orlanthi society.

Execution doesn't appear as a penalty anywhere that I've seen.

>In Thunder Rebels it states:
>
>"If a servant of the Predark is succored, or those who sacrifice to
>the Predark, or seek its mystery, knowingly or unknowingly, whether
>ill come of it or no, then twenty cows and outlawry"
>
>Of course, while execution is rare, killing is more common. If the
>offender isn't killed before trial they are likely to be killed
>afterwards, once outlawed.

Outlawry usually gives the outlaw an amount of time to get away and the clan warband will make sure they leave. A clan will often be reluctant to kill someone even when they have been outlawed because it is too close to kinstrife. Of course if a neighbouring clan should happen to encounter the outlaw they will probably kill them without asking for details of why they were outlawed.

There are of course individuals such as Humatki, Uroxi and Babeester Gori who aren't constrained by clan laws and customs who may take matters into their own hands.

>(Of course, punishments in Orlanthi society aren't really standardised
>either - the above is probably best viewed as a guideline - and clan
>or tribe politics are always likely to have an influence on the actual
>sentence).

Orlanthi don't punish for crimes. The transgressor pays compensation to the victim. Outlawry isn't intended as a punishment - it is more "we are not prepared to treat you as kin because of what you have done".

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/