Re: Punishment for consorting with chaos

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_9B8SISccrLFVU2Q9eeyq27Ohxf5vYhbJDmU-h7RXMyKasOIogPJ94ylL2U3gGX>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 09:37:52 -0800

In this case, the bloodline and/or clan should, as always, be keeping track of its members. Since they are intimately familiar with the suspect's needs and motivations, they should be able to determine if the person is sacrificing in order to ward against harm, or sacrificing in order to form a ritual exchange that grants power. (Although for some entities, there is no living power that can fulfill their side of the exchange, thus the sacrifice is magically pointless; e.g. Wakboth.)
Additionally, the rites for propitiatory worship are probably learned through your own clan (or guessed at from other forms of ritual learned as an Orlanthi/Ernalda initiate). These are quite likely distinctively different in form (and vocabulary!) from sacrifice as an initiate of chaos.

On the other hand, if the entire clan is suspected of harboring chaos worshipers; well, this is just one of the many, many reasons for clan warfare, I would think. Whether or not the accusations have actual merit.