Re: Outlawry = death

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_4JNXbxSdazQean6JZoa3IgNFNSMU7ws9f0LwfhUTuEphVLeFHNYcLy_1m2xWoQ7HIXl>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 14:33:35 -0500

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Roderick and Ellen Robertson < rjremr_at_wq1w3sFAc0-aTpB1JjiJx2bFKMbM14vQuYJrHFB72Z6XEIYmRtS71pfDfkAPhtQ4Ll0b4298cTBrOIOcf3w.yahoo.invalid> wrote: You may still have feelings for your ex-brother (and most people probably

> do), but you (and the community) will not suffer the chaos-summoning
> effects
> of kinstrife if you kill him. There are rituals of outlawry that magically,
>
> as well as legally, sever the offender from his kin. The outlaw is cut off
> from the worship of the Storm Tribe - which may not mean much to a Humakti,
>
> Lhankor Mhy, Chalana Arroy, etc., who have worship outside of the Storm
> Pantheon, but a worshipper of Orlanth or Ernalda will be cut off entirely
> from their Otherside.

I think the last part is overstating the power of the ritual. Outlawry separates the offender and the clan, but the clan does not have the power to separate the offender and her/his god. Now, for most of the really serious offenses, the god will probably be ditching the offender anyway, but that's a separate issue. I suppose if the clan has some specific hero cults or variant subcults they worship, where kinship is significant, outlawry would interfere, but, in most cases, I think Orlanth and Ernalda are the ones who get to chose if a person is allowed to stay in the Storm Tribe, not some clan ring....

Peter Larsen