Re: What Does the King of Dragon Pass do for you?

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_blwQQf9SCq1m5sXHh0h9T3o-VoCwvIdDdUDya8piW2uBeecRjBIIxDkNmBLFz72oXvQ>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:32:27 -0500

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_8u_Gu_2SATZDKYP1H7_D31BsbTSx4e4gE7B11U6xgDpajOljUCM3pHpYkRgsSEJ5i_52D_Pcj3s.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Being High King of Dragon Pass means you are magically recognized as
> the chief human leader of Dragon Pass. Even your enemies acknowledge
> your status - they may fight you or try to kill you, but they
> acknowledge you are the most important leader in the region. You get
> undefined magical support from many entities of Dragon Pass and
> usually cooperation from the Elder Races. It is a powerful and
> desirable title, with magical echoes from the High King of the Heortlings.

OK. Thanks.

> Tarkalor didn't seem to do much of anything (maybe he was trying to
create
> an expaned Sartar or a Sartar/Tarsh fusion and failed?).

He obtained support of the Grazer and probably even the Elder Races,

But he had to have the support of the Grazers to become KoDP, right? I mean, technically, he just had to marry the FHQ, but he needs the support of a bunch of Grazers to do that.... And I assume the Uz actively opposed him, although that might have helped get the support of the other Elder Races.

recognition of his status as highest king by all other regional leaders, the ability to tie the Yelmalion cultists into the region, powerful magical support and so on. Unfortunately for Tarkalor, he ended up fighting something more powerful than even himself: the Lunar Empire.

Good points all, thanks (I had totally forgotten about the Sun Dome Temple, and that was a big deal, as I recall).

Jeff

> Moraides didn't seem to do anything, either, but I imagine his goal was
> something weird and spiritual, and not necessarily easily recognized.

Again, he obtained support of the Grazers and the Elder Races, recognition of his status as highest king by all other regional leaders, probably some magical support in his war against Sartar, and so on.

Did Moraides really get this? He seems like kind of a minor figure, more of a figurehead than a real political mover and shaker (unless the theory of him being a secret mastermind is true, which it ought to be; Glorantha needs more supervillians....) Maybe it's because he is so overshadowed by the Lunars, but he should have more presence than that. Which is why I though he may have channelled his Kingship into less visible spiritual effects....

Peter Larsen