Re: Rigsdal Player Heroes

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_xKy_ar9dYtGeBkVhdz3ZMAajqgPMhsXEvnmGVeyW7xOGKpld1zNx2DzgAewGPE4Jlw>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:39:43 +1100

2009/1/9 bryan_thx <bethexton_at_C3k6MIzlL-_5sw8f2EB38OPFAdAG8FIOvW_APOM_H1iL8A3l2B8tO_JeHS0T4ClYAEsg-d6rl5fAqviZQA.yahoo.invalid>:
> One possibility there, as an option, is that Rigsdal can also be a
> sub-cult of Elmal or Orlanth.

And Humakt!

Another way to get Rigsdali out of the watch tower might be to assume some critical failure in their duty prior to the game's start. The story then begins with the duty-bound hero having to perform some (self or community-imposed) deed of expiation.

> All those awareness abilities sound great, but from a story
> perspective they are maybe not ideal.

I'm not sure I agree with this; although I suspect this is verging off Glorantha and into HQ-Roleplay territory.

It's important that the Narrator be the one to trigger these abilities, so that the player does not feel the need to go around saying "I use my magic to see anything interesting, I use my magic to see anything interesting"; it's Vigiliance after all not See Stuff That I Choose To Look At (that sounds more like Buserian to me).

> It is much harder to make a contest about noticing or detecting something exciting
> (especially in the case where the player does not know that there is anything to
> see/hear), and it makes it harder to spring surprises on the players (or even to give
> them that feeling that something could jump out at them at any moment), which can
> limit one handy narrator tool.

Again verging off topic but I don't tend to find surprise to be as important as I once thought. Creating suspense and anticipation seems to be more reliably dramatic for me/us.

(I'm happy to talk about these two points further offlist, or on a more appropriate list, if anyone is interested!)

--
John Machin