R: Re: Dialects in communication

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_BQ7iH0PoINf92MXwJ3O2tEeYLVcGFOO73Ud3GGY2o4XI2ALI-c35efJi2Sa6xVcVBui>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 05:14:29 -0800 (PST)

Yes, of course. Also in Indy's, either the hero speaks the tongue or he/she doesn't.
Target Numbers (in my game) related to languages are mere distractions. I think one would like to play a game based on lawspeakers or demagogues, where the target number of languages (even local dialects), rethoric and debating skills are crucial to the 'action'. Instead, my character (in the game I play, not in the game I narrate) is a Lunar missionary going to Pent. Rethoric is out of place; but social, religious and cultural issues, like the ones you pointed out, are very important. His life is at stake, not merely his reputation. Indy's scene is a good example of what I face with my missionary.
Gian

> I hate when the Game Master tells me "you can't communicate
with them because you don't know the language" and the whole dialect/tongue/mothertongue bonus-malus matter makes things agonizing slow in play.

If you are playing a cosmopolitan, multicultural game, then different languages can be a pain. If you are playing a game where people from different cultures are going to be strange and alien, then it can add to the fun. Just remember the opening of "Raiders of the Lost Arc" when Jones says to Belloq, "Too bad the Hovitos don't know what a bad person you are, Rene," to which Belloq answers: "Too bad you don't
speak Hovito."

Jeff

Yahoo! Groups Links