Re: Death Rune and creating undead

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_7YynDxLux4M_3MUV8weKGe1GJfXFlNmG0Zov-_Xc-Ov4s-5kJ-eThaVWTNoB3-77ViHIF>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:20:18 -0800

I haven't worried too much about all the kerfluffle, but a few notes...

There is no one way to do anything in Glorantha.

Off the top of my head, I'd accept any of the following as viable ways to make a "corpse" walk:
Stuff an otherworld entity into it - Spirit, Daimon, Essence, who cares, use what's easiest.
Bind the deceased spirit/soul/whatever to it's own body Animate the bones directly with Sorcery magic Ask your god to animate the bones for you "Zombie powder" ala _The Serpent and Rainbow_ that puts the victim's conscious mind into a comatose state, but able to follow commands Demon infestation passed by bite (kind of like the "Stuff a Spirit in it", but doesn't need the outsider's magic to propogate).

As far as the Death Rune allowing one to make undead, I'd say "probably not", just like the Life/Fertility rune shouldn't. The undead are Not Dead But Not Alive. Undeath has its own rune, use it. It's only been around for a quarter century or so. Kinda late to complain that it's a "newcomer".

Zombies: Fast or slow?

I have, somewhere in my computer, the writeup of a Chaos Demon that animates the dead. The more bodies it animates, the slower they become, so the Zombie infestation starts out as a single _28 Days Later_ or _Resident Evil_ zombie, and grows into a Romero _Night of the Living Dead_ (the original B&W version) horde. The Demon porpogates by - you guessed it - biting the living *or* dead.

RR