Re: Death Rune and creating undead

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_ALOVFl2Mw7BNt1T6YaT7QTLAR8516IuVj0hJsEMGoFJXjiT-sNcJeh1TyPqswEzv6>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 14:44:21 -0800

YGWV On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Tim Ellis <tim_at_Byuew4qEOXWTprM7YQb0-OaNkpa7w6DknCP1Vc6w6wXILqh15yZI-oUPD03I1GxkTmGPD_k_MyNPWNbPFZxPMiE.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> --- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com, Greg Stafford
> been discussing Zorak Zoran and his possible connection to other Gods
>

> >>He shares magical powers with Storm Bull (berzerk),
> >
> > Strictly speaking, SB shares them with the originator of the power.
> >

> Are you suggesting ZZ is the "originator" of Beserking, or that Urox
> and ZZ both obtained this power from a common source (along with any
> other beserking gods)

It is more likely that it originates with the oldest deity. However, it could just be that both have amazingly similar powers of going bonkers kill-crazy nutso gainst any and all (friends and foes alike), but that it is a different core power.

>> and Fire Gods (salamanders).
> >
> > Which we know he stole from a conquered god.
>
> A number of people have suggested that maybe ZZ had these powers (or
> some of them) before the Hill Of Gold. So maybe we don't "Know" it
> for sure...

Maybe you don't, but I do.
Mind you, I might be convinced otherwise, but I'd have to see something to counteract my 30 years of experience.

>> The third strange thing, one that I could never figure out the
> >> reason for until now, was the Arkat thing.
>
> Certainly any "secret history" of Zorak Zoran will have to take Arkat
> into account. But it may just be that Arkat decided ZZ was the
> premier Anti-Chaos God - especially since the Uz had a personal score
> to settle with Gbaji.

Yes. My position exactly.

> (Also every time Arkat changed he could be
> seen as betraying his former allies. After defeating Gbaji as a
> Zorak Zorani, he went on to rule Arkat's dark empire in a very un-ZZ
> like manner...)

Everyone except the beings he ruled in his post-war empire view Arkat at the Betrayer. Very few beings modernly admire him for his deeds.

But I think that Zorak Zoran is also illuminated? Does he not have a
> mystics "Third Eye"?

Gods are not illuminated. Many of them have contact with the Infinite, but that i a part of their essential being, not due to having been Illuminated.

>> What do you think?
> >

> A great piece of God-learning!

oooh, nicely said!!

> > And this is the kind of thing that there may well be a Gloranthan
> > cult or phiosophy which beleives this.
> > But NIMG.
> >

> Hmm - Yelmic Trolls, or ZZ worshipping Dara Happans - could be fun...

MGF forever. :-)

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer