Re: Death Rune and creating undead

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_0KEVSA3fIO5LF9WVHVX_ahIWYP57XFpq0Ukfx7NKsM38A6gbuSSWkofGr7yTM-3wJZv>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:28:28 +1300

Greg:

> > when Yelm was killed he became illuminated,

>Sorry: nonense. Gods don't "become" illuminated. They either are or are not,
>by virtue of their creation.

I think the source of this is the Glorious ReAscent:

         "Most importantly Yelm was Illuminated.  He experienced the
         impossible.  Yelm experienced being one of the Many while he
         was nameless and faceless.  He had no contact with the One.
         He at last knew the other.

         When this harmony was achieved, the Divine Justice reasserted
         the cosmos, and Yelm built the world anew with the released
         forces of creation."
                         GRAoY p37 Ivory Pages edition.

Likewise the Order of Day teaches:

         When Being began, Illumination was lost. [...]

         Illumination was rediscovered by the God Yelm, the Emperor of the
         Universe.  Yelm had been the One, always isolated from the world
         by his virtue.  He was slain, and when he was lost in the Underworld
         he was nameless.  He knew not who he was.  He was only one of
         the Many.  When Yelm understood this, he remembered the One.
         In that moment the impossible was achieved and Yelm was Illuminated.

                 The Fortunate Succession page 80.

However these are in-gloranthan statements that are made by people (Plentonius, a bunch of riddlers) whose grasp on the truth is far less than ideal. If Yelm has always been illuminated then they are simply wrong.

--Peter Metcalfe