Re: Death Rune and creating undead

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_iciGuu4prx1FsfI3qy7iPeyp8fY1mBSzr_Wtju7Qr1meqVlP-ac2Myg-bZxuQoFX6L>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:06:09 +1100

Hey Todd! :)

2009/2/3 Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_onJclZO0SSJyOGxH8lCladAJeyIo_Gn6pe_NmHZoUAgkX7PtzepAKwFUGn-pgJEFcE7tvBd-Z2WRFdMxNsFrog.yahoo.invalid>:
> I always get a bit uneasy when people start saying that such-and-such a god
> is really a mask for another god, this is how he is worshiped in this other
> culture. I agree that the two points of view can coexist in Glorantha, but
> those points of view also suggest by their coexistence that the two truly
> are different and unrelated.

Basically everyone is a mask of Sedenya! ;)

I tend to agree though, I find it a bit pointless to tell the truth. I don't much care for any objective understanding of the gods; I got excited about Glorantha originally because it seemed to be lacking. I *like* it that the cultural perspective is what matters (which, by extension, is also why I am a bit miffed about things like Misapplied Worship at times - although I think that the concept is sort of interesting it seems a brutalising mechanical decision).

What is of interest to me is whether worshippers of the two gods think that they are related, not if they actually are related; for example - I find it interesting that the Sword Man Practice has stories about grim honourable sword-wielding warriors from the west but I do not find it particularly interesting to know that, yes, Sword Man is just Humakt. If I cared, and it was relevant to a game, I'd probably have arrived at that conclusion myself. Or I would have made it into Yanafal Tarnils or something. ;)

Cheerio,

--
John Machin