Runes and undead - a few more thoughts (also berserk)

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_KvhPw_KCXFcj4g6iqPnH58degep_KqZlMfxJO5Qd4Kw4Wvgt-J281d2MewGCiU9u2x9>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 11:05:15 -0000

First of all, wow. I'm unable to access the list for a few weeks, and it takes me another week just to catch up! Who would have thought that my filosophical / game system musings would have stirred that up.

The reason why I thought about death rune and undead creation is mostly because of what I know of the streamlined HQ2 style magic. When you have access to a rune, you can pretty much do all the stuff that goes under the rune. I'm a big fan of the old RQ2 stuff (where appropriate) and it's description of a vampire starts with "...They are often a former or current Death Rune mage, who has chosen to continue the work on the material plane.

Note that Humakt is one of the earliest cults described, and the strict opposition to undeath was already there. There doesn't need to be a problem there. Humakt the God is very much opposed to the undead, but it doesn't mean that the power of Death (perverted) couldn't be used in their creation.

The comment about darkness was very good. Hell is a place where boundaries break down. I think I'll go with Death rune needing to be combined or perverted in some way.

Death & Darkness is a good one. Classic vampires and Zorak Zorani goodness there. Death & Chaos is obvious. Probably good for nasty things like ghouls too, for that chaos hunger.

  ***

On the question of berserk, I use the disorder rune also as violence. As it's the polar opposite of harmony (and healing) it works perfectly for berserking.

  -Adept