Re: Help with NPC

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_LhuKnZila5kfYEr-dsZtWFZM8pqUTO0kD4o-iKTYxdBpYf8uP8Tv_lL94wUiFhSz-5G>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:48:17 -0000

Matthew Cole:
> Humaky and Zorak Zoran are written as enemy religions; the two characters
> are both Rune Lords which makes them the epitome of their gods' worshippers.
> I'd really like to hear what power is keeping them from tearing each other
> up!

Phooey! Sure the religions don't like each other, but PCs can always put that to one side and get on. They might accidentally hit each other in combat or wreck each other's dinner parties and the Humakti would probably take a dim view of the Zorak Zorani's use of the recently departed as manservants, but aside from that they could be friends.

> If I was the narrator of this series I'd have spirits of reprisal attacking
> them at every major turn and would be increasing the power of those spirits
> after each go. Even if two religious zealots put aside their ancient enmity
> there will be many who won't see it that way - including their very gods.

As long as they don;t have any overridong geases that could affect them I don't see a problem with it. Even geases like "Challenge all Darkness creatures" just means they both get good at Chess.

After all, there could be good background reasons why they are friendly, they could be related, could be best of friends from the past, could even be blood brothers and have sworn an oath to help each other.

I've just noticed that the Humakti and Zorak Zorani were both trolls. The Sazdorf Clan had Zorak Zorani and Humakti and they didn't kill each other all the time. So, no problem there at all.

See Ya

Simon