Re: Electronic publishing (am I alone?)

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_cRhGtdCNPx2oWidNVIzcg0nCpSwRzmrOoi7Ec5RJaBGxhptZfvZ8uSEs2VgFhv2NXx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:57:13 +1100

2009/4/1 Ian Borchardt <iborchar_at_sIYy8Aei2wVocrRFiQSBlwvpo27Dej8vDNL8YGg-3PhyQjNlH2dAwhcDrhjf7y5ZmRuRNAqYegnsPoypYw.yahoo.invalid>:
> A number of indie publishers have realized that the PDF can actually
> be used as a advertising tool for their game, since I am not alone in
> this habit. I'm thinking of John Wick's _Houses of the Blooded_ here,
> which offers a _cheap_ PDF (US$5) to get people hooked. Those that
> are then pick up then purchase the physical book. And even if they
> don't, it still spreads word of the game around (and word of mouth is
> very very important in this market, especially in this time of
> recession). Whilst everyone here is probably a convert, what about
> the people off-list, or those that bought _Hero Wars_ or _Heroquest_
> and were put off respectively by the very poor editing/typesetting or
> the Gloranthacentric nature of the game. A cheap PDF may get them to
> look again at the work.

Another awesome example Ian.

I pre-ordered HotBlooded because I knew that I could start hyping it up with the (free, early) PDF and be ready to roll once people started getting their books. I know for a fact that a bunch of people picked up the PDF at the cheap rate, and I am fairly sure that this also lead to some sales of the printed book too.

To paraphrase some other indie game personalities: you have to appeal to the "alpha gamers".
Now I hate this term, but the idea that you need to get the 'frothers' out there frothing about *your* game is good advice. Some people love to hype up their flavour of the month, some people are really good at it too; as one of these frothing advocates who tend to run games to get people to try things out I really have to say: TARGET ME WITH YOUR ADVERTISING AND PRODUCT DELIVERY. I will bust my arse and talk peoples' ears off and do your marketting for you - if you give me something *to* market.

--
John Machin