Who will bell the cat?

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_RUbl3QTZ7a000lXWnee5GWRsV_eKu5KOJ2kZ6agVTkiZpOZI9xRdKmetQ5hOyhqDP>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:42:26 -0700

Friends

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:48 AM, lokamayadon <lokamayadon_at_zJ8Kfgy1oHPw-WQ5aL66HjeuWAUqYydHtMBHYGMv9QIpUOL4-68XERrbCIqoTVbYArwV_tDiMxYNihy9pWN7.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> > Unfortunately, I think that when it comes to the non-DP supplements in
> particular, and given the publication schedule over the last few years, the
> choice may genuinely be "a new way, or nothing", rather than "a new way, or
> the old way". For the rulebook, and the DP books sure, do it the traditional
> way... but doing *something* with the less popular ones gives the chance for
> some much needed cash to prop up the line.
> >

> True !
> But what about Rick, Greg or Jeff ?
> Is Rick reading this list ?

I am! I do not speak for the others.
I have been following this discussion from a distance, since I have licensed such rights away and have no say in it, as long as the contracts are being met.
I licensed all these away because I am tired of doing business. I've never liked it, and I've never been any good at it. I write Glorantha stuff now, games and fiction.

That having been said,
I'm not unhappy with the overall amount of Gloranthan material appearing. Mongoose is doing a bang up job, and now that Loz is in charge I know it will present Glorantha properly, within the parameters I've tried to establish, and continue to excite certain among us so dang much. The Stafford Library spouts forth fairly regularly, revealing another massive set of details that are fun for me to have learned and shared. I'm happy to see some others find it useful, entertaining or fun. The computer game, should it reach completion, will promote the world, even if it were to bomb in terms of computer game sales.

That having been said,
I do wish HeroQuest would see material reality. It is a great little system that deserves publication on its own merits. Robin, Rick, Jeff, David and Simon (who'd I miss?) have poured sweat and creativity and love to create a product. It's done, save for printing.

Having said that, I'll address some of the speculation about why this isn't done yet.
I only know what Rick has told me, and whereas money is always a problem in business, it's not the only one.
Time is needed. The time to make phone calls, to read contracts, to send off checks. Hell, even short of time to talk to anyone about what to do, how to do it or (especially) just doing it. Any one of a young family, career or economic crises would be enough to squeeze out the work for a boutique publisher, and to have all three and *then *HQ...

Also, frankly, doing it right is important. I for one don't want Robin's HeroQuest bought and closeted, or shut into a little category of gaming. It deserves more, and damn it all but 35 years of doing high-quality "arty" games have made me want the best for this one.

We -- Rick and I -- have been discussing options--we are always discussions this or that. We have no reason to share these with anyone else because it's just bluster and useless speculation. We have enough of that now without me fueling more. At the moment, all that can be done is to continue to beg your patience.

Please just understand we KNOW your desire and longing for this, and know that your good thoughts and suggestions, are read and appreciated, but sometimes the best wishes and hopes do not (alone) produce results.

Finally, have faith -- it is being done.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer