RE: The thing with goats

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_BzCLQoNKDGVvIioSjWL7NmPVQJVqO1s_yxE3LtfNgVoInxt_tyuvkTPMFHaDR1G>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:34:52 +0100

Hi Richard

Recently, I've been doing a lot of research into broo, Thed and the darker side of all that goes with them.

A couple of things might help you:

(following are some thoughts that are not a direct response to your
question...)

On the second point, I think it's a mistake to always portray broo as 'goat man with head of parent'. So other physical attributes from the parent could be used on the basic broo template to arrive at something that fuels your story. For instance, last night one of my players highlighted that his hero had 'hate cats' as an ability; I had already planned shadowcat broo for this part of the scenario so it was easy for me to bring them into the next encounter. My point is that they operated on all fours, had grey mottled fur and moved silently to ambush that hero. They did have the trademark broo horns but, whilst it didn't come into the story, I think I'd have had them with shadowcat paws, at least on their hind legs.

LOL! I just found this picture on the www: http://www.websophist.com/GoatBoy.jpg

Also my feeling for how they 'make' more broo isn't limited by the size of the 'victim'. So, I can envision frog broo, bat broo and even insect broo. As an intelligent race I think there could be individuals enterprising enough to put their seed into almost anything, even if this means not using the most popular method.

My central thrust here is to say that: rather than use cardboard cut-out broo (and in my opinion relegate them to a similar status as [cough] D&D monsters), I think it's important to show how they are affected by the chaos they embraced back in the day.

Have you read Ron Edwards' article on Daedalus called "Redeeming Thed"? http://www.chimera.info/daedalus/articles/fall2003/redeeming_thed.html

I mention it here because the research done for that article clearly shows the origins of broo and explains their shape and form.

Is there something for your game you want to decide on the basis of the answers to your question?

Cheers and Happy Easter everyone!

Matthew