Re: New Gloranthan Materials with Old Rules, a.k.a. Adding the Mythic to the Mundane

From: Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_mRCK-SLVavJpOoIgaFCzIRh48xdaX9yZOnx4Sd9WOFZkm_MWrkYWBIFS59OS6DN1F>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 08:36:45 -0000

HQ1 and 2 are really different in this regard. Conversion from HQ1 is painful (I did some and I know). Conversion from HQ2 is more straightforward, as the cults are way easier to port. Unfortunately we only have Sartar so far, so Lunar/Praxian/Malkioni/etc. cults are not yet described in HQ2 terms. Ooops, as an additional obstacle, "we" also means the ones who have a Tentacles copy, as the book is finished but not ready for release to the public yet (lacks artwork).

> Magic, from what I have been told, works pretty differently and is
> likely to be the biggest stumbling block. I would, in that case, just
> grab the appropriate Mongoose RuneQuest cult and use it unchanged,
> instrad of trying to recreate the abilities of a given cult in HQ. (i.e
> - if they worship Orlanth, just use a MRQ Orlanth cult.)

On the contrary, the cults port very well from HQ2 to a D100 system. Affinity (Rune) becomes Runecasting (Rune) or Allegiance (Rune) and all is ok. The only problem is which spells your character can cast with that Runecasting skill, but this depends on the big holes in the Spell to Rune association in the basic MRQ rules, so you would have the same inconsistencies if you used MRQ directly. Best idea would be to just pick the RuneQuest spell that sounds closer to the listed feats and use it with the Rune that is listed in HeroQuest. If for instance you look at the Storm Bull feats for the Eternal Battle rune you can easily understand that each one has a RuneQuest spell equivalent.

Again, doing this with HQ1 is a nightmare, instead.