Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: donald_at_NcTa60HhU8FpIBklZUrFO62wwe3GkhbPuNXfrWEVMIU6AZlvoJIEs-edd7ML7YS7Vm5zZ
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:31:04 GMT

In message <4A373413.1000302_at_tzlsLL-Q_uhcLEESxFVB6v2d_SCwmFK4koPAUEGhieFa4YCJPBaMrmpqI0ly2KXure8PoLeSTtXEK_f-34KWM3KAMg.yahoo.invalid> L C writes:
>Jeff Richard wrote:

> > As explained in Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes:
> >
> >"There are three basic types of heroquests. The most common is a Holy
>Day Worship Ceremony where the participants observe and support the gods
>to learn the power first displayed in that myth. A This >World Heroquest
>is where the power of the Otherworld is drawn into the Mortal World and
>sacred myths are re-enacted to gain magical benefits and powers for the
>community or the quester. Rarer and >more dangerous is the Other World
>Heroquest where key magical leaders are sent to the Otherworld to gain
>even greater benefits and powers."
> >
> >As an Orlanthi, I learn how to use my rune affinities through worship
>ceremonies where I "observe and support the gods to the learn the power
>first displayed in that myth." Technically speaking, this is a sort >of
>heroquest. On the other hand, I do this something like 42 days out of
>the year and is not normally something I really need to play out.
>
>Sure. So type 1 is what gives one one's affinities. Type 2 is for a
>special blessing for people or for the community. Type 3 is go over and
>get you weird magic/do something drastic.
>
>Which of these gets you feats? Are those Type 2 quests that are just
>well known and well trod?

I think the distinction between feats and affinities is a rules mechanic. A theist learns myths and when they know a myth well enough and can actually put themselves emotionally in the place of the god(dess) they can perform the actions of the god in the material world. Type 1 quests give you the basic knowledge while type 2 teach you to use it either personally or as a community.

>Now, are heroquests "theist" or "animist"? Since Orlanthi worship is
>mixed, presumably these are either both, or different for different
>days, or something.

An individual HQ will be either one or the other. You want a godi for a theistic HQ, a shaman for an animist. A PC could, I suppose, be both a godi and a shaman but that's going to be a weird PC.

>>Chris Lemens can talk at length regarding spirit magic. But the basic
>>model is still there; the shaman uses the traditions of his people to
>>interact with the spirits. Sometimes something new happens, and usually
>>that is a source of fear and bewilderment.
>
>The three types of heroquests still apply? Or no? Are basic charms
>gathered by the Type I kind of quest. Type 2 is used to bring/bind a
>spirit or fetish and Type 3 shamans wandering off to find new spirits?

For an animist I think type 1 is more a matter of the shaman saying "If we wish to camp here safely we must perform this ritual to propitiate this spirit". There may be a magical benefit but it isn't anything as personal as a charm.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/