Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_gwTP0D44huItpLv9RCcO6WAimjVr_0KCGHWUO6dYAHxNq-Tc8j9f1lZJTtDodqA2ITe>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:54:46 -0000

> >It's like the medieval Bible always being in Latin, or the medieval
> >Koran always being in classical Arabic. In fact, writing in the
> >vernacular *at all* is considered a pretty nutty thing to do in the
> >West.
>
> The Bible wasn't originally written in Latin. The New Testament was
> a Greek translation from Aramaic, the language of the disciples. The
> Old Testament was originally Hebrew. Nor was Church Latin the same
> language as Roman Latin.

That's why I specified "medieval" :) But, yes, the original texts that the Abiding Book was itself based on were not necessarily written in the Abiding Script and its now common literary lingua franca. The really old books, for instance, are written in the Real Script, which is much more magically powerful, but rather less useful for most modern day purposes.

> It also means there are a reasonable number of scholars who are
> literate in the original language - as you suggest Brithini.

Pre-Brithini, really, since we're talking about the language of Golden Age Danmalastan. But, in general, yes, I agree.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/