Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: donald_at_Y7WwoYYsmXBtNFJVRIvsDyV_ti1kTLBiGXVylF4Yuyn3oTEXU4tAfR6JwxrXsvoEbYwmI
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:48:22 GMT

In message <4A3E7A15.8060102_at_ogU_HeZecVuh8zXJ3hToXw_kTVAdg5DyQnr0SeETvBZSE4lvy9ZI1TiOmD05RymYoML3wl2qkxRgqGsCF-_Jq5w.yahoo.invalid> L C writes:

>donald_at_NRDwjC3QaXSOFHffmrw77Ra52cDU0WeRTIvDc5wMBDpeLP8YZtIcTto58hilh_GaO24OWhFfptn122uOqyA.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> >It isn't a big factor at the level of most PCs but the church wizard
> >appointed to the court of King Guilmarn can call on the community
> >support bonus of the entire country. Think how much work there would
> >be to getting all the clans of Sartar to provide that.
>
>Your saying that it is just an automatic that they can do that, since it
>is veneration? You don't even have to get them all on board with
>supporting that specific thing, it just *is* as part of the religious
>service?
>I could get behind that.

The typical peasant has no idea what the magic is to be used for. Just that they are obliged to attend the services. The local priest probably understands that his congregation is supporting the church but will be rather vague about how, what and why.

> >I think one of the key differences between veneration and other
> >forms of worship is the lack of a direct link between expending
> >magical energy and getting a benefit. The typical member of the
> >church congregation gets a minor blessing decided by the priest
> >in return for his prayers but most of the energy goes elsewhere.
>
>*nod* That is the implication. But, the magic goes to the community,
>albeit through the upper class, in a big way.

You see that because you are used to systems of top down government. A Heortling would say "Why should some wizard take my magic to do what I can get my cousin to do for me?" Because they are used to bottom up government. Of course what the peasant wants doing may not match what the leadership of the church thinks is important.

>If you really look at it as the "chain of veneration", then some gets
>dropped off for the church and its priest and community, then the rest
>gets passed up to the bishopric (or whatever the given area has set
>up), then all the way up the line.
>
>now that I type that, it is - of course - what the lunars have in
>ILH 2, which I think even mentions that the two systems are similar
>in that way.

Yes, although confused by other forms of worship and the fact that some of the veneration goes to the Red Goddess who provides magic to her followers. The top of the tree in monotheistic societies is Makon who does not give any magic. Either the magical energy directed to him disappears or the senior people in the church use it all sending none to their god.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/