Re: Great Hymn to...

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at__pfPObaz9So3pfebVG3vklSDXXtAS_TVfRum8vbG66TTG8288Ph4ECp-f7EbCTaA9d01>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:51:57 -0000

> Yes, that's the very word I was looking for. It fits the psalm fairly well. Worship of the supreme god while acknowledging the existence (but not worshiping) others.

Although some scholars call Aten-worship henotheist I don't think it is exactly consistent with the actions of pharaoh Akhenaten in promoting his new "sole god" (erasing all references to other gods, shutting down rival temples, and so on). But this is not really a Gloranthan debate.

If anyone is really interested in the subject, the Altes Museum here in Berlin has a fantastic permanent exhibit on the cult of Aten (including some really remarkable cultic iconography).

Jeff