Re: Illusion Rune and Entertainers

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_hiN2CNcXG36I86Hkh-pu7RGoZ73bFzJuData83lJcMGZZArOC7MHM-aFYwfz>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:45:43 +0000 (GMT)

IIRC, the cult of Donandar (and its sub-cults) used to have the runes of Illusion and Harmony (i.e. that they promote harmony through their artistry). Certainly this was so in the Cults Compendium. This contrasted the entertainer with the Eurmali jester/clown (whose runes were  Illusion and Disorder).
Call me old-fashioned, but actually I quite like that.
However I also like Nick's idea of the bard 'who knows too much' being tied to the rune of Truth -- but would that kind of bard really belong to Donandar anyway?
By analogy with Wiilaim Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience, in Hoeortling terms I can see Blake's piper (in the Songs of Innocence) belonging to Donandar and having the runes of Illusion and Harmony. Blake's Bard (in the Songs of Experience) is more likely to be Lhankor Mhy, or possibly an aspect of Orlanth that writes poetry.
The analogies in early Hero Wars Sartar between the different cults of 'high entertainers' and 'low entertainers' may inspire  too, but I don't have that kind of stuff to hand in the office.
I expect suitable analogies can be drawn in other pantheons too.
Richard Hayes

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_tqCJSsISPK6sBkSKLbCa26NThrp3cG1bJtvbHqo2Yhx2G4MWHxy8sNMmwXH881fMiZPXaQztpSQGG2ARYbE.yahoo.invalid> Subject: Re: Illusion Rune and Entertainers To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, 17 July, 2009, 9:46 AM

There was I think mention in the section about character's runes not matching their gods that an entertainer might have Illusion. I've never really been all that sold on the connection. It's old Glorantha though, think back to the Puppeteers in White Bear Red Moon.

I've always liked the idea of a Talesin like bard who knows just too much, embodying Harmony-Truth.