Re: Common Wizardry

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_Q-syCtgYre_WKv6i7u0YYZvk6hLEZqnOy_QdsWhr33CnnmxYu--clLVcxFl_3oytj141>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 07:23:54 -0000

> According to the new rules, Divine Magic has "common magic" accessable to lay members, and Spirit Magic has charms available to Spirit Worshippers. The section of Wizardry, however, only seems to talk about what magic Adept-level characters get. Is there an equivalent to "common magic" in Wizardry? The Sartar book character creation sample seems to indicate that one can learn spells independently of Grimoires.

Wizardry never is a passive augment but always can provide a direct ability. However, there are plenty of ways to learn spells independently of Grimoires (although Grimoires are definitely more cost effective). Amongst the Sartarites, spells are part of oral traditions - "Sing this song to the Wood Elfs and they will let you pass through their woods" (Calm Elf spell). Praxians have similar oral traditions.

As for common magic tradition in Wizardry using cultures, Westerners do have rune affinities and charms which can be used for augments. I suspect many Malkioni peasants focus many on this sort of magic, since they are likely illiterate and incapable of studying Grimoires.

Jeff

Jeff