Writing Gloranthan Fiction

From: Christopher Graves <chrphrgrv_at_VYT3JavRiOrb3jsehPrHgMH5xKRHxxeZqCtjs-oWtheDjDmRmL0kWHH3TM6vGgK7kM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 04:55:23 -0000

I am working on some fiction and I need some additional background information. I would also like to develop some contacts with people who are involved with publishing Gloranthan material whether fan based or professionally published. Before I start trying to contact folks individually I thought I would reach out here. My stories center around a small settlement that exists on the edge of Princeros tribal lands where the Sharl river exits the New Hills. This is the small area just NW of Alda-Chur. I have drawn together all the published info, including fan based, and all the info readily available on line from the various lists, including the Glorantha Digest. On the most general level I am seeking the following:
  1. Is anyone currently working on background for Alda-Chur, the Princeros tribe, the Sharl Plain or the New Hills? I have already contacted John Hughs whose work appears to concentrate on the Far Place but not so much with the lowlands west of Alda-Chur.
  2. I have questions concerning various assumptions I have had to make about the above areas.

So far, I have found nothing solidly worked out about the clans of the Princeros tribe, their names and geographical placement on the Sharl. One particular concern, there is at least one map that places the Princeros tribe NOT in the Far Place! As yet, nothing appears to have been put together detailing Alda-Chur as a working campaign site. I do have the map and a lot of tangential information from the lit. The culture of the sun worshiping lowland farmers of the Far Walkers has only been tangentially dealt with so far, though there are plenty of models for this from other sources.

Below is a very general idea of what I am up to without going into any real detail about the fiction itself.

My work is meant to eventually be a novel that deals with the impact of events on an extended family group and their struggles over a couple of generations. My fiction has a long foundational tale that begins around 1300 ST in Lokrene and only eventually joins the Far Walkers on their journey south to the Far Place. The main story begins around 1550 ST with the childhood of my main characters, though it takes into account quite a bit of family history going back to just after Alda-Chur was occupied by Tarroson. My family is one of a disparate group of families that call themselves "The Poorest Brothers" belonging to one of the Princeros clans. They are landless or rather have no arable land of their own and live on the edge of the main life and concerns of the Princeros tribe. They are a peaceful people and there is a heavy component of shamanism and mysticism in the stories. My material currently exists in the form of numerous tales of varying length, campaign background, scenarios, timelines, maps and notes etc. Everything is a work in progress as I have approximately fifty rough draft pages and only about twenty pages in more finished form.

In most cases I need the information I am seeking as a backdrop, but, as the story develops I will need more detailed information about the cultural and political struggles for power and land on the Sharl and in Alda-Chur; including the numerous tragedies of Far Walker kin strife, and eventually, more detail about the coming of the Luner Empire in the Far Place would also be helpful. I can easily invent this material but I would like to make sure that I am close enough to what has and will be published to have the fiction be a candidate for publication. There is actually quite a bit more to this including tangential gaming projects but no need for that kind of detail here. I hope to have enough to start submitting a few shorter bits soon.

Clearly, I am at the point where I need to start reaching out. So...Help! Please get in touch. Feel free to contact me directly or here. My email is chrphrgrv at gmail dot com.

Thanks,

Christopher Graves
Gloranthaphile since buying WBRM in about 1974-75.