Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: Paul King <paul_at_FvZ1qjF9ee_di0I-4gT4T5cVvaJ64eyiYhYWabUU0dWgoT3ygK7gR1Xr1csDfKFszRrI-8E>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:20:00 +0100

On 27 Jul 2009, at 12:22, Jeff Richard wrote:

> However, this is a game rules mechanics question. For game
> mechanics purposes, Lodril has the Earth Rune (with some unique
> abilities associated with it). Lodril is not a minor cult like
> Yinkin, but is the main male cult in Peloria; and most Pelorian men
> (ie peasants) have the Earth Rune and not the Fire Rune.

The myth seems to indicate that Lodril is originally a fire/sky God who descended to Earth. My reading is that Lodril acquired the Earth Rune from his activities or by marriage (remembering how patriarchal Dara Happa is, I think the latter makes some sense). At the same time his "pollution" diminished his native fire/sky power. I don't think that there is a problem with Lodril being mainly an Earth God now, even if his origin is in the Sky Realm.

In my Glorantha I think Lodril would retain some of his Fire powers (why is the ripe grain gold in colour ?) possibly replacing Disorder, which I am a bit dubious about. (Maybe that side of Lodril could be handled by a subcult - I think that the new understanding of Fertility covers anything the typical Lodrili is likely to get up to).