Re: Why are the New Hills new?

From: Grimmund <grimmund_at_-3AI-FuLSO9aVr_S_vpDmuS-gGqE0V2NgLL9lPWN6SbWnVYMVH0QLh7ZhoI2NIv_1Tl>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:57:46 -0500

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Christopher Graves<chrphrgrv_at_oZiF-J-fqEUFwv8D8idWBNpZ5zceCk57e3GbJeTg2uxaZ3lLReBKlgZGb0YH6VY6rxe872vxfRI6.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Does anyone know some detail about the New Hills which are just NW of
> Alda-Chur along the rim of Snakepipe Hollow??? Why are they called the
> New Hills?

The simple, not terribly exciting, linguistic explanation:

It was named by people who migrated there. They used to live in some other hilly terrain, moved to the new hilly terrain. They migration population referred to the new location as "the new hills" and the name stuck, even after the migration population eventually died off.

Rather like people commonly refer to a replacement thing as the "new" thing and the original as the "old" thing. That newness does not necessarily mean new in the sense of "just made"; it may also mean new in the sense of "it just came into my possession."

The place they used to live became known (to them, anyway) as "the old hills". Since they no longer lived in the old hills, that particular name never stuck to wherever they came from, except among the migration population. The people who moved in afterward gave it their own name, which is what most people call it now...

Dan