Re: Opposing runes and sorcers - and the lunar exception

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_pbbjzbdalGsP3OitEyZ1WuDJwb6yV8YKsQfDPRq6Gn9uO6T43vT8u-inDsKie_9v1GR>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 06:05:53 -0000

"valkoharja":

> Say a sorcerer has access to a grimoire of Death magic, and then gains
> access to another grimoire of Life/Fertility magic. What is it that
> stops him from learning both?

As I understand it, nothing. Just as an individual Heortling might have the runes of, say, Darkness, Motion, Life, and still end up worshipping Orlanth (approached through Motion, presumably), a sorcerer is capable of learning grimoires that don't match his exact runes. It's harder for him to do so, since he isn't naturally adept at those magical powers, but it's still possible. But, because it's harder, you probably won't get an actual sorcerous cult that relies on incompatible runes.

I suspect this sort of thing is explained better in the Sartar book than in the HQ2 rules appendix, which is necessarily brief.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/