Re: Gods and Runes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_MFRegxIArboq_OlUiAi-dPKdkgC6N-8FKu_d2CyK7uhz7t0UlYQ_GtIZVsfFGxC7bCf>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:49:20 +1200

Simon Phipp wrote:

> My
> point was that Lodril was said to have the Earth Rune as a Game
> Mechanic.

He has the Earth Rune because he had the Earth Rune in gloranthan material for about fifteen years now. What Jeff was talking about was a tangential matter as can be seen from the question he was responding to.

> Sure, give Lodril Earth, but as a son of Aether, he should
> have the Fire Rune, or a derivative of the Fire Rune (Heat) in the
> same way that Dayzatar has Light (derived from Fire/Sky) and Yelm has
> Fire/Sky.

I don't see the need. Veskarthen has fire, Turos has fire - what need is there to give Lodril Fire?

> Mythically, don't forget that in the Division, Yelm was originally
> given the Earth/Underworld and Lodril the Sky but they exchanged
> theoe domains because Yelm thought that he deserved more and Lodril
> didn't really care either way.

I think you are confused with the Three Brothers Divides the World ceremony performed by the sons of Sarenesh in the Imperial Age (and even the references are confused between the names of the participants and what was assigned). Verenmars, the King of Saird, disrupted the ceremony in order to get more territory at the expense of Heredesh, Emperor of Dara Happa. Sacassar, the Shah of Carmania, wasn't affected by this change (and was probably bribed by Verenmars) said he didn't have a problem, leaving Heredesh with the sensation that he had just been screwed. The participants were not acting out the original myth in what they did but abusing it.

> The fact that Lodril then embraced the
> earth gives him the earth rune, but he never turned his back on his
> fiery nature.

In Dara Happa, he did.

 > Look at some of his children - Caladra, Gustbran,
> Mahome, Oakfed, the Agimori, all of whom are Fiery in nature.

That's a God Learner argument. Gustbran and Mahome are the children of Veskarthen, a distinct deity from Lodril. Caladra is Veskarthen himself. The Agimori were not made by Lodril but by Balumbasta, a friend of Pamalt. Oakfed's parentage I don't know but he may be a brother to Yamsur in which case he is the Greatlander counterpart to Lodril.

The God Learners said that all these deities were Lodril. In some senses, they were right and in others, they were wrong. Lodril differs from Turos, Veskarthen/Caladra, Balumbasta and Solf in the way that Shargash differs from Tolat, Elmal from Yelmalio and Oria from Ernalda.

> The change to using Runes to describe Gloranthan deities has nothing
> to do with the Animist/Theist/Wizardry split. It is that change that
> was caused by the differences between Greg Stafford's writings and
> the Gloranthan nature as we knew it.

If you are not referring to the animist/etc split then I'm at a loss as what you are referring to. Looking at Cults of Prax, I see that Orlanth has the runes of Storm, Mastery and Motion the same runes as he does now. What changes are you referring to specifically?

> I believe that I said that HeroQuest V1 described Gloranthan deities
> fairly well, if rigidly. I also said that I didn't think that
> HeroQuest V2, or what I have seen of it, did not describe Gloranthan
> deities fairly well.

I'm not aware of any major difference between HQ1 and 2 in the description of deities. Looking at the list of runes of deities in HQ2, I don't see any real surprises or major changes.

--Peter Metcalfe