Re: Gods and Runes

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_KJDAWfkI15E41Y0u5mffcBxfj-A6S3U_kbwtiYslTIwDej0hzeLvh86ida5UyVbJ-qd>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:58:20 -0000

Peter Metcalfe:

> > Look at some of his children - Caladra, Gustbran,
> > Mahome, Oakfed, the Agimori, all of whom are Fiery in nature.
>
> That's a God Learner argument. Gustbran and Mahome are the children of
> Veskarthen, a distinct deity from Lodril. Caladra is Veskarthen
> himself. The Agimori were not made by Lodril but by Balumbasta, a
> friend of Pamalt. Oakfed's parentage I don't know but he may be a
> brother to Yamsur in which case he is the Greatlander counterpart to Lodril.

No, it's a Monomyth argument.

The people of the First Council recognised that many of the deities of Glorantha were the same, so they identified, for example, Yelm with the Evil Emperor, Rebellious Terminus with Orlanth and so on. The God Learners simply extended that and made more connections.

Yes, I happen to like the Monomyth. In my opinion, certain events happened in Glorantha in the God Time and people's recollection of those events have been dimmed either by the loss of a continuous history, by the shattering events of the Greater Darkness and by the loss of many of the people of the time. Events since the dawn have also shaped what is known of the God Time. However, I can see nothing wrong with a major deity doing lots of different things in lots of different guises. The way that people saw those events and remembered them differs depending on who they were, who they followed, what happened to them and so on, resulting in different myths, different emphases and, in some cases, different cults. I'm not a fan of the "many gods absorbed into one" theories, but that's a matter of personal taste.

By the way, Oakfed was conquered by the Lodril Priests in the Lunar Army at the battle of Moonbroth by them showing Lodril as Oakfed's father, according to at least one published work. That association seems to have stuck.

> The God Learners said that all these deities were Lodril. In some
> senses, they were right and in others, they were wrong. Lodril differs
> from Turos, Veskarthen/Caladra, Balumbasta and Solf in the way that
> Shargash differs from Tolat, Elmal from Yelmalio and Oria from Ernalda.

I'd say that the greater gods have many different aspects (not Aspects as used in a rule mechanic to show a different cult), some of which are incompatible to a certain extent.

See Ya

Simon