Re: Odayla rune(s)

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_NVrk8z3dd6VnhOtMJlbMfCjCWOGIhMzGtmrIZ7WkXwknWzaQ5mvHo_KiokGRTm>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:28:25 -0700

Griffins and Morokanth are intelligent (along with the rare intelligent fish, great stag and other exceptions). But I would not argue that they had the Man rune.
Herdmen (Morokanth's herd animals) do have the Man rune, I think, but are not intelligent.

What I think is going on here is that the unintelligent creatures either found a way to succeed on their own (deer, birds, salmon) or they found an intelligent partner (bison, impala, horse, herdman) at the time of the Great Darkness; or they died out. And I think that dying out was the most common of the "options selected."

On the other hand, gaining shape-based features ("Morokanth thumbs", speech, maybe air-breathing) are useful to Beast-rune intelligent creatures, and I think that these do stem from the Man rune.

--Todd