Re: Runes of the East Isles gods

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_yN1lFZbeNWqkzr_qKk3H53lsOvH57Q5y1xhrFc2Dmc0oHPAeTonYl-pxZ6KO5q>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:23:09 -0700

Again, this is a semantic disagreement. As a non-Glorantha (and a non-mystic) these effects fall under my gamer definition of "magic".

As in: Things people cannot do in the real world, no matter how skilled they are.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM, nils_w<nils_at_UJcDkkydcLhKT3y0hq0j7uWa-owhgPgnLmQSPxmStr_0L_2JEOsYIXR5x30m0ZSPDKQwz-JRhUCZjjAP.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> So for the but... You cannot do magic with mysticism, but you
> can refute both physical (cold, sword blows, gravity) and
> non-physical effects (despair, magic). On the surface this
> can look a lot like magic, but it isn't, and it cannot be
> used actively, it is always a passive side effect.

By the way, I sure hope that "Refute Gravity" can, in fact, be used actively, rather than a constant passive effect... ;-)

Lastly, as part of the process of teaching novices, mystics may have to utilize their mastery of mysticism as a demonstration. Either as a demonstration to their tutor that one is ready for the next step along the path, or as a demonstration to students that their efforts will result in a different state of being, thus they should give it all of their efforts. There are many mythic references to this, from Star Wars to yoga traditions to the EWF. So it might be unfair to say "never" in the arguments you make.