Re: Brithini Caste Restrictions/Duties

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_snwubFNoZeaDo0-HiDppKcwEe4PVW_rUlfmLP9Md27PQR5UNJWHOYZr7NR2Yni54W>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 20:36:51 -0700

YGWV On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM, John Machin <orichalka_at_tKkyxYGUqXcqmyBon1lUezlNIcvlDyq22U8TT737BxvnH_Ct893m9FblRiM2tWG4A3D-n628UEEF8eI.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> 2009/9/28 valkoharja <rintasaa_at_dCFD0QHlIPMTJGoJxJRWreUcANNMegFPM-ZEJbn8ajNT9f-ZWgkn6dahBrjtpP_Y_ogg8dVIyvXW6Ipj8Q.yahoo.invalid>
> > I don't think so. The strict limit on the number of children and caste of
> each child born has to mean that child mortality is practically zero.

They are wizards at medicine, but not perfect. Children die. They never have children spontaneously, and over centuries have "actuary tables" to help calculate final numbers.

Children are raised in a collective by women until separated into castes, quite early, for training.

> I don't see how this would impact on child mortality at all? This sort
> of social control could be supported by good medicine and controlled
> birth, or by horrible eugenics-based practices.

Yes, yes, and yes.

> Personally the Brithini scream "horrible maniacs" to me, but I don't
> find them less interesting because of that.

Me too.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer