Re: Trade goods in Glorantha

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_59H9E2pJ9kfRaHx7KP9Dg_sWs8X1QaFHs2EusqrSzh9OTjE216NDGj1DD9gVjwbInr>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:41:59 -0000

> > One of the reasons listed for the Lunars to push themselves as far as Holy
> > Country was access to the sea so they could expand their trade and make the
> > aristocrats--and thereby the empire--more wealthy. But what are they
> > intending to export and import? That I have always been unclear on.
>
> It was always unclear because it never made much sense (and fraud was
> more plausible explanations as in the "East Isles Bubble"). I think the
> Lunars sought access to the sea for mythical reasons not commercial ones.

It could be both....if there are particular materials that are traded in across the sea which have mythical/ritual importance, that as things stand tend to get soaked up in the Holy Country, they could be looking at trade, for mythic reasons. (somewhat the same as why the Trader Princes started).

But I was also thinking that it could be the trade to the Holy Country that they are really looking at? If they can have safe routes, and enforce rules that let them trade freely there, there could be money to be made. Somewhat like the British in India. Although the difficulty is always how much bulk can you efficiently move through Dragon Pass, even in theory (with helpful locals). I don't think it would be a Rome/Egypt situation where simple grain is the most valuable product, because of the difficulty in shipping.