Re: Comparative prices - original RQ and Sartar

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_4jIvPZKFsVMFSvLwW3VqV3WGGRoDR5gPZfe1a4iEdmHgJ4mCy1786TyqqkLA>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:12:31 +0000 (GMT)

My own dim recollection is that when I bought it in Spring 1984, RQ2 was sold in the UK in a Games Workshop boxed set, for £10.00. That included some dice, some pre-prepared NPCs and "Basic Role-playing" as well.

I don't remember the £: $ exchange rate at this time, but if it was £1 = $1.50, then the £10.00 boxed set was broadly comparable to $12.00 for just the book.

Like other correspondents, I expect the new edition of RQ after Avalon Hill became involved (late 1984?) was probably the nadir of prices, after allowing for inflation.

Richard Hayes

From: markmohrfield <markmohrfield_at_CJre388Anyxj77P2SyxvNTEo2kzg_et65kVm6qhuFJDDPEtAvhbzu-LOjRG9toYpTDC__tEK82bkmK-Guf6F4g.yahoo.invalid> Subject: Re: Comparative prices - original RQ and Sartar To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, 20 November, 2009, 17:53

Okay, after hunting through my collection of ancient, musty, RQ2 materials I came upon a price list from the RuneQuest Companion, copyright 1983. It claims

RuneQuest...$12.00
Hardcover RuneQuest...$15.00
Boxed RuneQuest...$20.00
SnakePipe Hollow..$6.00
Cults of Prax...$12.00
Foes...$12.00
Plunder...$6.00

RuneMasters...$12.00
Cults of Terror...$10.00
Borderlands...$16.00
Trollpak...$18.00

SoloQuest...$8.00
Questworld...$15.00
Scorpian Hall...$10.00
The Snow Queen's Bride...$6.00
Pavis...$18.00
The Big Rubble...$10.00(probably a typo, since it also claims BR to be a book rather than a boxed set.) RuneQuest Companion....$8.00

Some of these may have had reduced prices, as I think RQ3 was in the pipeline by this point, but I still don't think RQ2 went for $26.00 dollars. I suspect that Jeff's copy was part of some kind on bundle.

Again on the broader point I think Jeff is correct; current prices are indeed at least as good as past ones.

                                                 Mark Mohrfield

Yahoo! Groups Links