Re: Lunar heroquests

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_SPa1D8L2n2RHcqAqhfEv2IV1OC61VzLiAICaHANIR1RXpcYolXwNFzJ6eDr-zENlnAL>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:28:02 -0500

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_Cl92W6_rngNSxQsRzBQylMHauJgh6Fb3KvjyZDggUqH75s8pOops_Yh5uMp-PAJ8yzoZLwUUL4LDuT2FPerpTNEW.yahoo.invalid>wrote:

> I've been wondering the same thing for Hero-based cults, such as Sartar,
> Pavis and Flintnail. For some, such as Sartar, it's obvious that the
> connection with the head of the pantheon makes sense, but for
> "unassociated" heroes that undergo apotheosis, the traditions and myths all
> have a temporal origin. I find this confusing.

I suspect that many of these smaller cults have few, if any, HeroQuests per se. Sartar, for example, probably has some "crowning rite" that has herquest elements, but, after that, the whole reign is a sort of heroquest played out very slowly across the monarch's reign.Little, if any, of the actions take place in the Other Worlds, but there are some similarities -- the monarch will begin to summon enemies, for example, just by being the monarch and carrying out the sacred duties.

As for the Lunars, stating that their heroquests revolve around
> demonstrating their existence in the Godtime doesn't give much of a handle
> for creating one of these heroquests to run in a game. What sort of
> challenges would your have to overcome to make that demonstration? Are you
> really just doing a heroquest for this "dead" god and then adding
> challenges
> at the end in which you rise again as the god? Even then the "rising" part
> would be a part of the Hero Plane that does not correspond with one of the
> Godtime ages, but instead is an event that happened within Time.

Lunars following paths laid down by their Gods and Heroes can retrace the paths that their idols originally followed. So, Hon-eel got her maize powers by performing a series of Heroquests. A follower of hers could reproduce those heroquests in greater safety (floowing a known path and all) but for lesser rewards. I expect everyone who does so strengthens the God/Hero's connection to those stations in the Other Worlds, making that divine being's role and status more secure.

Peter Larsen