Re: Lunar heroquests

From: Douglas Seay <douglas-seay_at_spwasnbK4p4dUqHvswgyvxaL5bFgEdoHAZ5p2z27Mn1xJTNE0lk_LCEIQDbrhg_>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 02:51:24 -0500

John Machin wrote:
> This is a pretty good one actually!
> What happens when someone enters the heroplane? Do they become effectively
> not non-Historical for the duration of their stay?

I think everyone is non-historical on the hero plane. The regular rules don't apply. Conservatives like the Sartari still follow historical norms, but they aren't strictly required to.

> Perhaps the relationships between the Mortal World and the Otherworlds are
> not as cut-and-dried as the myths of the Compromise would have us believe?

Perhaps. Or perhaps this is one of the reasons the lunars embrace chaos. For them the compromise is more of a guideline than a strict requirement. Kinda like Kirk's treatment of the Prime Directive.

> Assuming that heroes can etch new paths in the first place, Lunar heroes can
> become Immortals and have others follow after them and widen and deepen
> those paths. A person who might inspire a hero-cult in Sartar might become
> and immortal in the Lunar religion. Thus is the promise and the wonder of
> the Lunar Way! (maybe?)

Yeah, I think this is pretty much what happened in Carmania and the Provinces. But typically this has been the Lunars subverting something already there, and I don't see that happening with Orlanth. Instead of pure subversion, as happened with the Star Bear, this would-be Immortal is going to have to marginalize Orlanth. In Tarsh this is happening, but it is slow at best. It is most effective in the cities, which doesn't really lend itself to a repeat performance in Sartar.

I'm not sure what the Lunar hook would be in Sartar. Perhaps something with Larnaste considering Sartar's personal affiliation. Or maybe "showing" that the King of Dragon Pass is (and has always been) a mask of the Red Emperor. Or more humorously prove that Orlanth is really just an aspect of trickster and make the average Carl too ashamed to utter Orlanth's name for fear of being tarred and feathered (or worse).

Anyhow, the time line presented in KoS doesn't leave this would be Immortal a lot of time. Tarsh is several generations into its lunarization, and it is far from complete.