Re: Moonshine, booze, powzie and other potent stuff in Glorantha

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at__Pr0J8sZ7pptyRofDXgJ0h_AAWvD440wU85ylMTXKcPslNedBKZv2I4t1sop5h>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:47:57 -0800

For your information:

In modern controlled production, the initial fermentation takes two to five hours at a temperature of around 27°C (80°F); this may be followed by a cooler aging period. The finished product contains between 0.7 and 2.5% alcohol.

Kumis itself has a very low level of alcohol, comparable to small beer, the common drink of medieval Europe that also avoided the consumption of potentially contaminated water. Kumis can, however, be strengthened through freeze distillation, a technique Central Asian nomads are reported to have employed.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM, <hcarteau_at_ixVZfhuyStmIh5N5tZrz4XywANwYx1jJ5xhE1KxW7aBmAk8oLhkLBdmD4S1rYuIJpqpH5L_lTBM.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Selon Jeff <richaje_at_kS2p8mbSp0LPHKtnBPfirxd1lR69X7iIg4mwsjti3znn-RkDapohmYQI7ZI782ujgeZYk9YECcsyhKg.yahoo.invalid>:
>
> > > I don't think of my Sartarites as having stills. Lunar gin is a huge
> > disruption to sartarites--equivalent to whiskey for native americans.
> >
> > The big difference being that the Sartarites already have access to wine
> > (including pretty potent stuff from Clearwine) and beer. The technique
of
> > distilling barley is probably known in a few places in Sartar as well.
>
> /// We've had a very pleasant article in a french fanzine (Les Erudits de
> l'Ambigu) a while back about alcohol in the different Gloranthan cultures.
> Distilled grain was presented as an esrolian speciality, and esrolian
whiskey is
> prized everywhere. There was Dom Perignon-esque champagne from Nolos, etc.
etc.