Re: A lot of Kralorela questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_Uu5-1eJB2CYkxuSXdMF7YwIOSQtgEgABGlF0L4BDAl6j5kbofc_LVPO4rX3DqrVDrFY>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:07:13 +1300

arun wrote:

> The two (non-Glorantha) reasons for my identifications were that I do
> not have a name for the mountains on the island of Fanzai, and I
> also wanted a mountain than would be in existence prior to
> Thalurzni's crumpled up mountains - the Shan Shan. I have not
> included Diamond Mountain as a game location so didn't need to name
> it (and if I did it already has a name).

There's another reference to the twin mountains in Uz Lore - on the map of Uz Lore page 7, there's two peaks southeast of Genert's Garden and west southwest of the Kingdom of Enlightenment. Normally I would jump up and down and gloat about how it proves that the Mountain of Light is Diamond Mountain but Abzered could still be around distorting the geography.

As for the Shan Shan, the literary evidence is a wee bit more complicated. Revealed Mythologies has then being raised by TarnGatHa the First Emperor which the Vithelans have myths about the Sensan Mountains which was raised by Herevens in the Creation Age.

I'm tempted to connect the Shanshans down to Teleos/Imadsalash/Spike but we encounter the problem that the Sensans are shown as being to the _west_ of the Twin Mountains in several places in Revealed Mythologies.   So I'm thinking the Shanshans are a later range which the Kralori named after the earlier (now destroyed) mountain range.

> The only thing this leaves me without a name for the inland area
> north west of Shiyang and not quite in Ignorance.

Uz Lore has the Kingdom of Wisdom and so I'd suggest something like Agony of Wisdom. Of course that leaves the question of what it was before Shang Hsa came but I suspect it was considered part of the Kingdom of Ignorance.

--Peter Metcalfe