Re: Fallen Stars in Brolia again

From: hcarteau_at_qTRFFS3p8fTppKCFMjFbwX374ZbvcTLn9ibG5lMu8cCOO_5kGwUuCK3fJ3InQIJvWNx
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:08:10 +0100

/// OK, so what's your take on the "prize" [Karsten Fardrossen]] was after ?

> I'm not really sure he actually went with the intention of freeing a
> specific person. While Arkat knew who to find (but not enough to know
> that it was a supremely stupid choice), I don't think that Harmast did.

/// So the Quester embarks on the LBQ without a clear idea of what Help he will find for his people. He's supposed to be smart and wise enough to discern who/what this help will be. No wonder why communities don't let unknown quality start a Quest !

> As to who the prize would have been if he had succeeded, my guess is
> somebody non-Orlanthi and contemporary (ie Recently Dead). Dragons are
> out because Karsten is living in the aftermath of the Dragonkill.
> Carmanians are out because they have just been defeated by the Lunars.
> Dara Happans are also out because they are collaborating with the
> Lunars. Safelstrans are out because even on the other side of the Nida,
> Karsten would have only heard bad things about the Stygian Empire.
/// Wasn't the Stygian empire dead for a long time by the time of the Battle of Castle Blue, pounded into nothingness by the Seshnegi ? Anyway, I can't picture any of the orlanthi local clans or safelstran cities coming up with a Great Hero at that time.

> Uz? The Only Old One dies about fifty years too late to be a viable
> candidate. Any Uz leaders killed in the Smoking Ruins would be useful
> but they don't strike me as the sort of heroes that could dramatically
> tip the scales of power.
>
> Belintar strikes me as plausible considering we don't know where he was
> from.

/// Very interesting choice. He "swims ashore" the Rightarm Islands only in 1313. We know he / she switches bodies. Narnarra the Greater might have been some precursor of Belintar... in which case he, like all the traditionalists, failed at Castle Blue, only to "wash ashore" seventy years later, and being killed by an avatar of the Goddess three centuries later yet.