Re: Pol Joni French Style

From: Jeff <richaje_at_cIEzRxNLJ2xCRmfn365VyEcAJcvURdEWSfRoFwDRC0xhydB_M1vS_hnkiEhiYH65WKQ9>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:21:04 -0000

> The basic issue is that, quite unwittingly on Issaries' part, the legal provisions covering fan publications are such that we were unable to continue publishing in accordance with French Law, I mean French Law governing our not-for-profit activities as we defined them. It is illegal in France for any not-for-profit organisation to act as licensees for any profit-based company, even in cases where the profit-based company is earning no direct income from the license(s) granted. The same issue exists in the Moon Design description of these provisions.

I suspect that is incorrect and is likely a mistranslation of the legal term. A licensee simply has permission to enter upon or otherwise use property; a licensee does not "act as" something or another party. Since French not-for-profits can obtain a license to use an image, own software, or to hold meetings at a place they do not own, I suspect that they can have a license to use another person's IP.

Jeff